Monday, October 4

Mission:Ty Smalley andSave Bullied Kids

Ty Smalley was a 11-year old child who committed suicide few months ago. His father made his child a promise on Father’s Day to do whatever he can to prevent this from happening again:” I promised my son that I’d stop this from happening to another child”, said Kirk Smalley.
His son’s tragedy occured after two years of being bullied at his school, in Oklahoma. Ty tried to fight back, but was suspended from school. After this episode, he considered it was too much to bare and decided to kill himself ,last May.
Kirk Smalley is currently on a mission against this attitude in schools, as he feels responsible for his son’s death:” Ultimately, my son’s safety rested in my hands. I was responsible for my son’s safety. I’m his dad, it’s my job to protect him.”
President Obama appointed Kevin Jennings to solve the problem of kids’ safety in schools, in his position as Deputy Education Secretary. He admits this is a continuous state of matters and the process of changing this type of mentality requires baby steps. Jennings organized the first ever summit on bullying and its devastating effects on the children’s psychology.
As there is no exact definition of bullying and no general rules to prevent it , each school or district deals with this problem at his own convenience. But Kirk Smalley fight to turn bullying into a crime that must be punished.



(source:buzzcatalog.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment