Thursday, November 4

Kanye West Sorry for Pulling ‘Race Card’ on Bush

Kanye West, the hip-hop star who accused George W. Bush of racism during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, said that he now thinks he was too “quick to pull a race card” and can “connect with” the former president on a human level.

After the 2005 storm, Mr. West said that “George Bush doesn’t care about black people,” a remark that stung the president, who writes in his new memoir, “Decision Points,” that it was the lowest moment of his presidency.

Speaking with KBXX radio in Houston on Wednesday, Mr. West said he could now sympathize with how Mr. Bush felt about such an accusation because he too was excoriated as a bigot for interrupting Taylor Swift during her MTV award acceptance speech last year.

“I definitely can understand the way he feels to be accused of being a racist in any way because the same thing happened to me when I got accused of being racist,” Mr. West said. “With both situations, it was basically a lack of compassion that America saw in that situation. With him, it was a lack of compassion with him not rushing, you know, him not taking the time to rush down to New Orleans. With me, it was a lack of compassion of cutting someone off in their moment.”

Mr. West continued: “But nonetheless, you know, I think we’re all quick to pull a race card in America. And now I’m more open and the poetic justice that I feel to have went through the same thing that he went. And now I really more connect with him just on a humanitarian level because that next morning, the next morning when he felt that, I felt that same thing, too.”



(source:nytimes.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment