Friday, October 15

Baltimore marathon prize money

The 2010 Baltimore Marathon will take place on October 16 and will be the events .Both took home $3000 in prize money.

There are 36 runners — 34 men and two women — who have run in every one of the previous nine Baltimore Marathons.

Here's the story of five of those men, all locals who have different motivations and varied views on running 26.2 miles through the city's streets.Daniel Broh-Kahn hates running the Baltimore Marathon.

"I'm miserable doing it," he said. "My shoulders hurt, My feet get tired. During the race I tell myself, 'The sooner I finish, the sooner I'm done.' And afterward, my first thought is, Now I don't have to do this for another year.

"I'd much rather be at home, sitting on the couch."

But run, Broh-Kahn does. And he spends torturous hours of training, all for the sake of that one giddy moment at the close of the race.

"For a marathoner, crossing the finish line is huge," said Broh-Kahn, 48, of Phoenix. "The way I feel at the end makes it all worthwhile. I'm absolutely exhausted, mentally and physically, but I'm euphoric at the same time. There are very few feelings like it."

His training regimen is offbeat. Four times a week, accompanied by his two golden retrievers, Annie and Toby, Broh-Kahn jogs the leafy trails that wind around Loch Raven Reservoir,.

"Every time we hit the water, the dogs go swimming," he said.

On Saturday, when he completes the marathon, Broh-Kahn will treat himself to something more substantive than a post-race dip.

"I'll struggle my way to the beer truck and carbo-load with liquid amber," he said. "Then I'll trudge home, take a refreshing shower and have a long nap."

On the couch, of course.

The (still) young one

Turning 30 was traumatic for John Finegan. So, on that birthday, he charged out the door of his Anneslie home and raced off down Falls Road, in search of his youth.

No luck. Two hours later, he trudged in, aching and wheezing like a man twice his age.

"I'd just run 12.7 miles, more than twice what I'd ever done," he said. "The pain was excruciating. So desperate was I to convince myself that leaving my 20s was no big deal that I didn't even wear running shoes. By mile 10, I dug deep for every breath. Somebody crawling would have gone faster than me."




(source:baltimoresun.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment