Sunday, October 24

Jenny Ji

Jenny Ji likes to think of herself as an ‘original’ – a designer who doesn’t follow the dictates of the big brands, the catwalks or what Vogue lays out each season. Her originality is matched by a prodigious output; her well-known label, La Vie, now boasts a bridal line, mother-and-baby line and custom lingerie. The 30-year-old is also about to launch her own perfume line, and has teamed up with Moleskine to create her own notebook for the brand’s Detour series, which will also feature Chinese artists Jin Xuanmin and Zhou Tiehai. The last time we caught up with Ji – at Shanghai Fashion Week in June 2009 – she was launching her Chinese Gods collection which took its inspiration from Tang Dynasty dolls. The inspiration for her new range, as she tells us in our interview below, is a little closer to home…

Tell us about your new range…
It will take its inspiration from the calendar girls of the 1940s. These absolutely gorgeous, chic girls made Shanghai a real fashion center at the time. If you buy my clothes, you pay for not only the clothes but also the story behind them. I’m also cooperating with a Chinese cosmetics company to release the first perfume line under my name, which will be available this December.

How did you get involved in the new Moleskine series?
I first found out about Moleskine when I studied in Italy, they are superb quality, but at the time they were too expensive for me. Recently Moleskine got in touch with me, they were interested in my designs and wanted me to collaborate in their Detour exhibition. My notebooks are designed for couples; they’ll have two big Chinese characters meaning double happiness. This is a spin-off from my wedding dress designs, a cute addition for partners.

What are the most common style mistakes people make in Shanghai?
People don’t know what clothes to wear for certain occasions. A classic example is the people who walk along the street wearing pajamas. That’s just plain ugly.

What style tips do you live by yourself?
I try to be Chinese but not traditional. All the clothes at La Vie have Western cuts with Chinese elements. When I say ‘elements,’ I don’t mean superficial details like printing a dragon or phoenix on the front. Chinese elements are in the small details and are less obvious. Our current generation has a responsibility to spread Chinese culture. Japan have done a good job of this; we should learn from them.

What fashion trends do you see emerging in Shanghai?
Shanghai is more progressive than other parts of China. Zhou Libo, our lovely local comedian, for example, wears customized Dolce & Gabbana suits and sunglasses. People care more about the details here. Would you ever see comedian Guo Degan from Beijing wear something similar on stage? I think not!




(source:shanghai.urbanatomy.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment